Research Says: Job Club Members Save Time

Post image for Research Says: Job Club Members Save Time

by Donna Svei on May 12, 2010

Going it alone on your job search? You might want to re-think that and join a job club. Here’s why. Job club members enjoy many benefits that pass the solo job seeker by. Job club members:

1. Find jobs up to four times faster.
  2. Learn high value job search skills.
  3. Create personal accountability by setting and reporting on goals.
  4. Gain a new network.
  5. Gain an enhanced understanding of local job markets.
  6. Give and receive emotional support.
  7. Enjoy the benefits of helping others.
  8. Experience lower levels of frustration with their job searches.
  9. Devote more time to their job searches.
  10. Team up on some job search tasks in order to eliminate duplicate efforts.

Where does this information come from?

The first item on the list, and the most compelling, is supported by research conducted by Nathan Azrin, a behavioral psychologist. Azrin conducted research during the 1970s that showed that job club members find work faster than solo job seekers.

Items two through nine on the list come from research published by Chris Kondo, a marketing professor at Cal State Fullerton, in 2009. Chris interviewed job club members and solo job seekers to identify the differences in their respective job search experiences.

AvidCareerist added number ten based on her knowledge of how job clubs operate. Job teams are a special type of job club. They share the heavy lifting, document much of their work, and pass it on to new club members.

I hope you’re convinced that joining a job club is the number one best thing you can do for your job search.  These links will get you going on finding a club that’s right for you:

7/12/11 update: Consider starting an on-line job club using Google+ Hangouts.

I write executive resumes and LinkedIn profiles. Save time. Get hired. Please email me at donnasvei@gmail.com or call me at (208) 721-0131.

Wise Step May 14, 2010 at 07:16

This is a wonderful compilation of 10 points. Will surely going to share these coool tips with some of my pals :).

I’m gonna check those additional 4 links too

Donna Svei May 14, 2010 at 09:32

Hi Wise Step,

Thank you for your kind words. The links are great. I set up a feed for the job club meet-ups. They’re going on all over.

Ed Han July 26, 2010 at 09:36

I can’t believe I never posted on this blog entry before–as you know, I too am a big fan of job clubs!

Donna Svei July 26, 2010 at 09:40

Hi Ed,

Thank you for chiming in. Based on your experience, would you add any benefits to the list?

Happy Monday,

Ed Han July 29, 2010 at 07:57

Sorry, realize I never answered your question.

I would add, depending on the job club:

1. Continuing use of professional skills so they don’t erode.
2. Development of new, desirable skills.
3. Positives that arise from other members landing.

Melissa Cooley July 31, 2010 at 08:02

Wonderful post! I, too, am a huge advocate of job clubs.

I remember reading something a while back in which the author (a career professional) discounted the value of job clubs, wondering what benefit there could be in unemployed people meeting (other than the emotional support). The points that you and Ed compiled very successfully show what a great resource job clubs are for job seekers!

Donna Svei August 1, 2010 at 14:19

Thank you Melissa. I ran a job hunters support group during the early 90′s recession. We put ourselves out of business in pretty short order!

Meghan M. Biro November 21, 2010 at 21:41

Hello Donna. Thank you for sharing your valuable job club wisdom here! I will spread the good word about this for all the people that no longer want to “go it alone” on the career search and seek a more satisfying and informed career search process.

I agree = often a team approach is key for career seekers that may feel isolated/in need of additional learning from others in a similar position. My experience indicates that people like to soundboard their experience – it’s entirely healthy to hear feedback from others. Duplicate efforts often create more stress and anxiety in the long-term. Why add another layer of complexity to an inherently (sometimes perhaps even often) stressful process? I encourage people to locate a caring community. I support this tack wholeheartedly. Please keep us posted.

Donna Svei aka AvidCareerist November 23, 2010 at 09:44

Meghan,

Feedback is crucial to the learning process. I always encourage people to get feedback from people who have made hiring decisions. Job seekers can find those people in job clubs.

Look at how quickly the contestants on Dancing with the Stars improve. One reason? Feedback from the judges every single week.

Thanks for saying hi and sharing!

Terrence Seamon June 7, 2011 at 11:15

Great points! For those who find themselves in an area with few or no job clubs, think about starting one! Here are some thoughts on that process: http://learningvoyager.blogspot.com/2009/03/everybody-get-together.html
If anyone would like a copy of the guide to starting a group, send me an email.
Terry

Donna Svei June 7, 2011 at 13:32

Thanks Terry!

Susan Joyce January 13, 2014 at 07:32

Great post and excellent comments, Donna! I’d add a couple of things to it:

These days, I think it’s very helpful for job seekers to discover that they are not the only smart, motivated people out there who haven’t been able to find a job. People who do a “solitary search” on their own can end up feeling like failures. A job club helps them see that they aren’t failures – just operating in a tough environment.

Other sources of job clubs:

1.) Local public libraries often have job search groups that can operate as job clubs, meeting monthly or more often, so check with your local public library.

2.) Your local churches and other places of worship often have clubs that meet regularly, too.

3.) Author Barbara Sher made her book “Wishcraft” available as a free PDF online, and it contains instructions in how to create and run “success teams” which can be job clubs. It’s available here: http://wishcraft.com/wishcraft_complete.pdf

Thank you Susan. I love “Wishcraft.” SO cool that it’s available free now! Donna