Do you get tongue twisted or terrified when it’s time to call people about your job search? If you do, one of my clients has found a terrific, free resource called How to Have a Great Networking Conversation on the Phone.
Written by executive search consultant, Katherine Moody, the downloadable .pdf provides 24 scripts that cover the following situations:
- Sample of a typical opening conversation.
- They don’t remember you.
- They sound reluctant to talk.
- You didn’t stay in touch.
- They sound busy.
- To meet specific people — you don’t have a name.
- To meet specific people — you do have a name.
- To spend some time talking.
- To learn about an opening at the company.
- To learn about the company.
Talking to Different People
- Sales people at your target companies (they love to talk about their companies!).
- Previous employees of your target companies.
- Hiring managers (slightly gutsy version).
- Hiring managers (slightly softer version).
- Executive assistants.
- Employees (peers) of your target companies.
- Present or past colleagues.
- Writers, speakers, thought leaders.
- Friends, family, neighbors, etc.
- Ending the conversation.
- Follow up — you talked to the person they suggested.
- Follow up — the person they suggested never got back to you.
Scripts Make Calls Easy
Ask anyone who has ever worked a phone, having a script makes calling strangers about 1000% easier than winging it.
Get the Download
Get it here. Use it. It will make your job search easier and more effective. What a gift, huh?
I write executive resumes and LinkedIn profiles. Save time. Get hired. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Updated June 2017
© 2011 – 2017, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.