5 Reasons Calibri is the Best Font for Your Resume

Love Calibri as the best font for resumes.

by Donna Svei on May 20, 2013

Oh Calibri, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

1. 12-point Calibri produces perfectly sized resumes of 550 to 750 words on two pages. If you need more space, 11-point works well too.
  2. Because of this, Calibri focuses writers on telling their readers a 100% relevant story of reasonable length — the best kind.
  3. Research has shown that readers associate Calibri with stability. Employers like stability in an employee.
  4. Calibri was made to be read on a computer screen, which is where most people read resumes. It renders beautifully.
  5. Calibri is Microsoft Word’s default font. Thus, it’s familiar to readers and easy on their eyes. The more resumes they read, the more that matters.

Yes, Calibri, when it comes to resumes, you’re simply fontastic!

Image: © vege – Fotolia.com

Featured by Business News Daily.

Denis Curtin May 20, 2013 at 09:26

Donna,

How well does the Calibri font work with optical scanners and company applicant tracking systems.

I understand that Times New Roman, for example, does not scan well even at 12 pts. with some resume scanners.

Denis, Great question and a sixth lovable point! It’s believed that Calibri scans well. Thank you, Donna

Aaron Court May 20, 2013 at 14:18

I suppose that the version of Microsoft Office Word default of Calibri, is probably at least Word 2007 or 2010. It seems silly to me, to value the formatting and style of a resume, more than the actual content — and then again, I don’t believe in traditional resumes as being very effective other than just being a fancy “business card” with details — and my belief that the traditional jobs are not very efficient or effective in the 21st Century.

Hi Aaron, Thank you for commenting. You’re right — 2007. Recruiters do value content most, but format second. More on that here: Your Resume: What Matters Most to Recruiters? http://buff.ly/12QjcjJ. I love resumes and marvel at how much explicit and implicit information they contain. Traditional jobs aren’t for everyone but they’re perfect for many people. I’m glad to see a variety of options opening up for people. Kind regards, Donna

Ken Anderson September 25, 2013 at 09:25

It’s silly to even talk about content vs. format in this way. A good format will allow the content to shine through. In that sense, format should be subordinate to the content, but format supports content; it should not be an afterthought. I sometimes have to plow through piles of resumes when I’m hiring someone, and believe me, format matters a lot to me. My time is valuable, and a poorly-formatted resume that forces me to reread it multiple times to find what I need to know is, to my mind, an indication of what kind of work that person would produce in general.

Kyle League January 21, 2014 at 17:10

I have found great difficulty seeing the difference between similar looking sets of letters when reading on a 10.1 inch tablet. If they just put a little more space between letters to more clearly delineate them I wouldn’t mind. Otherwise I forcefully assassinate Calbri and switch the default to Courier New. I can’t imagine it would be easier to read on the smaller standard 7 inch tablets or even smaller phones.

Hmmm, I wonder if a font has been developed for readability on tablets? Thank you Kyle. Donna

Rob January 28, 2014 at 12:32

Did Microsoft pay you to say this? Cause really, Calibri is a weak, narrow and not confident (rounded forms) typeface compared to Helvetica or Gill Sans, which I find far more visually appealing, particularly if you need both and on-screen and printable typeface. Helvetica looks great on the phone and the tablet. It just works.

And if you want a perfectly designed typeface for the screen, try Veranda.

Hi Rob,

I wish. Yo, Microsoft, are you listening?

Thank you for the tips. I like Verdana for websites but not for resumes. Both Verdana and Helvetica, to my taste, are too bulky for resumes. I will play with Gill Sans.

Kind regards,

Patty Martin February 3, 2014 at 13:59

Hi Donna,

As someone who reads resumes all day long for a living, I do appreciate your insight and completely agree with you. Calbri is my choice too for resumes, and advise that to candidates whenever I get the opportunity.

Another resume suggestion for your readers from an insider’s perspective is that ALL recruiters and HR departments use some form of Applicant Tracking System (database) to manage our resumes. The new trend appears to be to put Name and contact info into either a header or a footer – NO ATS can “read” inside of a header or footer. When the resume is imported, all that is visible is the body of the resume and even if this is the candidate of my dreams, I can’t contact them – don’t even know their name. Recruiters deal with large volumes of resumes, when they encounter one like this they normally just delete it rather than fix it. A shame for both the candidate and the recruiter.

Patty Martin
President
Talent Finders

What a shame! Thank you for highlighting this Patty. Donna

Lish March 20, 2014 at 04:22

“The new trend appears to be to put Name and contact info into either a header or a footer – NO ATS can “read” inside of a header or footer. When the resume is imported, all that is visible is the body of the resume and even if this is the candidate of my dreams, I can’t contact them – don’t even know their name.”

So, is it better not to write the name and contact information within the header or footer? Thanks.

Hi Lish,

I don’t use headers and footers on resumes for precisely this reason. Thank you for the reminder!