Every person who views your LinkedIn profile sees your background image.
Do you want to use LI’s standard, teal-colored network graphic? Like 499 million other members? Or do you want to tell a personal story?
A custom image lets you set yourself apart from the herd visually and amplify your narrative. This post will show you how to use Canva, a free site, to do just that!
Canva Makes Custom Background Photos Easy
Canva lets you:
- Generate a properly sized template for your background (1584 x 396 pixels).
- Upload, and expand or crop, a photo to the template size.
- Download the properly sized photo to your computer.
- Upload that image to LinkedIn.
All in as little as five minutes.
Watch the video to get a good feel for what you’ll be doing, then follow the written instructions to make and upload your image.
Both Canva and LinkedIn have made some changes since I recorded the video in September 2015. I’ve updated the written instructions to May 2017, but not the video or the screenshots below.
- Go to Canva and sign in.
- Click on “Use custom dimensions.”
3. Input 1584 x 396 (not the outdated 1400 x 425 shown below).
4. Click “Design.”
Buy a photo from Canva (not an affiliate) or upload the image you want to use (see 10 smart, easy ideas here — horizontal orientations work best) by doing the following:
5. Click “Uploads.”
6. Click “Upload an image.”
7. Select your image and click “Open.” Canva will add your photo to your gallery.
8. Drag the photo you want to use from the gallery into your template.
9. Resize the image to fit the template by pulling on a corner.
10. If you don’t like the image, click the trash icon and start again.
11. Drag your re-sized image to where you want it to appear in the template.
12. Click “Download.”
13. Click “PNG, Recommended.”
Voila! You have a perfectly sized LinkedIn background photo.
How to Install Your LinkedIn Background Photo
- Go to LinkedIn.
- Click “Me” and “View Profile.”
- Click “Update Background Photo” in the background area.
- Click “Upload Photo.”
- Select your file and click “Open.”
- Drag your image to position it and click “Save.”
Let’s Connect on LinkedIn
Please don’t hesitate to invite me to connect on LinkedIn here. The more I know about my readers, the better I can make my blog.
I write executive resumes and LinkedIn profiles. Save time. Get hired. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Updated May 2017
© 2015 – 2017, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.