Do you get tongue twisted or terrified when it’s time to call your career network?
If you do, I have a terrific, free guide called How to Have a Great Networking Conversation on the Phone for you.
Written by recruiter Katherine Moody, it shares scripts for 24 job search situations.
As a recruiter, she:
1. Lives rejection.
2. Identified a framework of career networking call types.
3. Developed and tested scripts for each call type.
4. Shared her insights with the world and permitted me to share them here.
So, take a look at this wealth of support, download the file, and simplify and increase the effectiveness of your career networking!
First, you can look at these scripts that will help you move through anxiety and fear to start calls:
- Sample of a typical opening conversation
- They don’t remember you (scary to think about, huh?)
- They sound reluctant to talk (uh oh, you might be bugging them)
- You didn’t stay in touch (Katherine shows you how to own it and move ahead)
- They sound busy (how to handle it)
Specific Requests of Your Career Network
Then, these scripts will help you make requests to:
- Meet specific people — when you don’t have a name
- Meet specific people — when you have a name
- Spend some time talking
- Learn about an opening at a company
- Learn about a company
Talking to Different Types of People
Your network likely contains different types of people. These scripts will help you with just about everyone:
- Salespeople at your target companies (they love to talk about their companies!)
- Previous employees of your target companies (great sources!)
- Hiring managers (slightly gutsy version)
- Hiring managers (softer version)
- Executive assistants
- Recruiters (pro tips!)
- Employees (future colleagues!) at your target companies
- Present or past colleagues
- Writers, speakers, and other thought leaders
- Friends, family, and neighbors
Call Management & Follow-Up
Finally, Katherine has scripts for ending calls and following up with people who help you:
- Ending the conversation
- Follow up — you talked to the person they suggested
- Follow up — the person they suggested never got back to you
Scripts Make Networking Calls Easy
Anyone who has ever worked a phone knows the value of scripts.
They also know they’ll get lots of rejections, but they only need one good win!
Get the Download
Get the guide here. Use it. It will make your job search incredibly less stressful and wildly more effective.
You Might Like
Featured by Career Sherpa
Image: Tom Wang
Updated April 2022
© 2011 – 2022, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, authors all of AvidCareerist’s posts.
She is a Fast Company Contributor and has written for and been quoted by 100+ business and general media outlets, including Forbes, Inc., Entrepreneur, CNBC, the New York Times, USA Today, Time, US News & World Report, CBS, the BBC, Lifehacker, Social Media Today, IT World, and Business News Daily.
Let her expertise inform your job search strategy and decision-making.
Contact Donna here to learn more about her resume and LinkedIn profile services and fee structure.