Do you have a video interview coming up? Zoom? HireVue? Oh, joy.
Have you noticed you look worse in video chats than you do in real life? Way worse? Sorry. So do I.
It’s the evil HD cameras in our phones and other devices. They’re brutal.
Jane Jetson Had a Brilliant Fix
Jane Jetson experienced this problem in 1962 and had a brilliant solution:
I don’t know why someone isn’t developing a Jane Jetson mask. I vote for Snap to license the IP for their Camera app:
How to Look Your Best in a Video Interview
Until we have Jane Jetson masks, and given that interviews tend to require adulting, do this:
- Set everything up.
- Optimize your lighting.
- Experiment to find the most flattering camera level.
- Smooth on some painfully expensive HD makeup from Sephora.
- Get dressed as you would for an in-person interview.
- If you’ll be on Zoom, turn on its Touch-Up feature and other helpful enhancements (H/T to search consultant Dorothy Dalton).
- Do a dry run and have it critiqued by someone not too encumbered by tact.
- Make tweaks until you feel handsome/beautiful/etc.
What is HD Makeup?
Updated February 2021
© 2014 – 2021, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, authors all of AvidCareerist’s posts. She has written for and been quoted by 100+ business and general media outlets, including Forbes, Mashable, Fast Company, Inc., Entrepreneur, CNBC, the New York Times, USA Today, Time, CBS, the BBC, Lifehacker, Social Media Today, IT World, SmartBrief, and Business News Daily.
Let her expertise inform your job search strategy and decision making.
Contact Donna here to learn more about her resume and LinkedIn profile services and fee structure.