The interview thank you stumps many people.
Thus, when one of my clients sent me an awesome draft for feedback, I asked her if I could share it as a sample with my readers. She agreed.
I’ve included a redacted copy below.
The Sample Interview Thank You Email
I’m so grateful for your generosity this morning in spending time speaking with me and sharing your insights about the new position on your team. Thank you.
Near the end of our talk, I mentioned my excitement about having a chance to help create systems and processes that will allow [Company] to better manage [the challenge] and seize opportunities.
I hope I also conveyed well to everyone on the team my eagerness to receive your and their mentorship on [Company’s] culture and how to succeed as the [Position Title].
There’s nothing I’d rather do with this next chapter of my career than serve one company in such depth that I become woven into its fabric. It’s plain to see you are on that path and enjoying it very much.
Meeting you and hearing your story affirmed my decision to make this jump.
Whatever happens, let’s please keep in touch!
P.S. See attached photos of dogs.
I shared this as a sample interview thank you email for several reasons:
1. It screamed self-motivation and commitment. My client used high-energy words and offered an image of herself woven into the very fabric of the company.
2. My client and the hiring manager had rapport. She built on this by inviting the manager to be in touch regardless of her decision.
3. My client reminded the hiring manager of their shared love for dogs. Research has found shared interests matter in recruiting decisions.
4. The combination of competence, motivation, and relationship building that my client showed throughout the hiring process resulted in a job offer!
5. 65% of successful job seekers in one study used email to say, “Thank you for the interview.” It’s OK to use email.
As you can see, if you set the stage by demonstrating your professional and personal fit for the job, and build rapport during your interviews, then writing a thank you email can be crazy easy.
Featured by FastCompany
Updated June 2017
© 2015 – 2019, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, authors all of AvidCareerist’s posts. She has written for and been quoted by 100+ business, general, and career media outlets, including Forbes, Mashable, Fast Company, Entrepreneur, Time, CBS, the BBC, Lifehacker, Ask.com, Social Media Today, IT World, SmartBrief, Payscale, Business News Daily, and the Muse.
Let her expertise inform your job search strategy and decision making.
Contact Donna here to learn more about her resume and LinkedIn profile services and fee structure.