Every person who views your LinkedIn profile sees your background image.
The Case for a Custom LinkedIn Background Photo
Thus, do you want to use LI’s standard, blah graphic as shown above? Like millions of other members? Or do you want to tell a personal story?
A custom image can help you brand yourself and amplify your profile’s narrative.
Canva Makes a Custom LinkedIn Background Banner Easy
This post shows you how to use Canva, a free design platform, to customize your background image.
Canva lets you:
- Generate a properly-sized template for your background (1584 x 396 pixels)
- Upload, and expand or crop, a photo to the template size
- Download the properly-sized banner to your computer
- Upload it to LinkedIn
All in as little as 5 minutes.
Watch the video below to get a good feel for what you’ll be doing.
Then, follow the written instructions to make and upload your image.
LinkedIn Background Photo Video
Watch the video to learn how to use Canva to make a LinkedIn background image:
- Go to Canva and sign in.
- Click the bright purple “Create a design” box.
- Type in “LinkedIn.”
- Choose “LinkedIn Banner” and click.
Upload the image you want to use by doing the following:
- Click “Uploads” on the left vertical rail.
- Click the bright purple “Upload Media” box.
- Choose “Device.”
- Select your image’s file and click “Open.” Canva will automatically add the file to your gallery.
- Drag your uploaded photo from the gallery into your template.
- Re-size the image to fit the template by pulling on its corners.
- Drag your re-sized image to where you want it to appear in the template.
- Click “Share” then “Download.”
- Click “PNG, Recommended.”
- Click “Download.”
Voila! You have a perfectly sized LinkedIn background photo.
How to Install Your LinkedIn Background Photo
If you’re wondering, “How do I update my LinkedIn background image?” it’s even easy than using Canva.
Again, watch the video to get a feel for what you’ll be doing:
Then, follow these written directions:
- Go to your LinkedIn profile.
- Click the edit pencil in the background area.
- Choose “Upload photo.”
- Select your file and click “Open.”
- Click “Apply.”
That’s it. You have a new LinkedIn background image!
You Might Like
Let’s Connect on LinkedIn
Please invite me to connect on LinkedIn here: Donna Svei, Executive Resume Writer. The more I know about my readers, the better I can make my blog.
Updated March 2022
© 2015 – 2022, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, authors all of AvidCareerist’s posts.
She has written for and been quoted by 100+ business and general media outlets, including Forbes, Mashable, Fast Company, Inc., Entrepreneur, CNBC, the New York Times, USA Today, Time, US News & World Report, CBS, the BBC, Lifehacker, Social Media Today, IT World, and Business News Daily.
Let her expertise inform your job search strategy and decision-making.
Contact Donna here to learn more about her resume and LinkedIn profile services and fee structure.