Every person who views your LinkedIn profile sees your background image. Wouldn’t you love to have a perfect LinkedIn background photo?
Do you want to use LI’s standard, blah graphic? Like millions of other members? Or do you want to tell a personal story?
A custom image lets you set yourself apart from the herd visually and amplify your narrative.
This post will show you how to use Canva, a free graphic design platform, to do just that!
Canva Makes a Custom LinkedIn Background Photo Easy
Canva lets you:
- Generate a properly sized template for your background (1584 x 396 pixels)
- Upload, and expand or crop, a photo to the template size
- Download the properly sized photo to your computer
- Upload that image to LinkedIn
All in as little as 5 minutes.
Watch the video to get a good feel for what you’ll be doing, then follow the written instructions to make and upload your image.
The LinkedIn Background Photo Video
- Go to Canva and sign in.
- Click the bright purple “Create a design” box.
- Type in “LinkedIn.”
- Choose “LinkedIn Banner” and click.
Upload the image you want to use by doing the following:
- Click “Uploads” on the left vertical rail.
- Click the bright purple “Upload Media” box.
- Choose “Device.”
- Select your file and click “Open.” Canva will add your photo to your gallery.
- Drag the photo you want to use from the gallery into your template.
- Resize the image to fit the template by pulling on a corner.
- If you don’t like the image, click the trash icon and start again.
- Drag your re-sized image to where you want it to appear in the template.
- Click “Download.”
- Click “PNG, Recommended.”
Voila! You have a perfectly sized LinkedIn background photo.
How to Install Your LinkedIn Background Photo
- Go to your LinkedIn profile.
- Click the edit pencil in the background area.
- Choose “Upload photo.”
- Select your file and click “Open.”
- Click “Apply.”
That’s it. You have a new LinkedIn background banner!
Let’s Connect on LinkedIn
Please invite me to connect on LinkedIn here: Donna Svei, Executive Resume Writer. The more I know about my readers, the better I can make my blog.
Updated March 2021
© 2015 – 2021, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, authors all of AvidCareerist’s posts. She has written for and been quoted by 100+ business and general media outlets, including Forbes, Mashable, Fast Company, Inc., Entrepreneur, the New York Times, USA Today, Time, CBS, the BBC, Lifehacker, Social Media Today, IT World, SmartBrief, and Business News Daily.
Let her expertise inform your job search strategy and decision making.
Contact Donna here to learn more about her resume and LinkedIn profile services and fee structure.